When I was starting out on makeup, I heard about the greatness of a makeup base but I can't seem to find one that's inexpensive for me to try. I strongly remember finding one from Maybelline and I actually finished up a tube (without the review as I do not blog then). I wasn't ecstatic about the product but it did not fail me either.
Then came brands and brands of makeup bases that gets a bit confusing. Well it gets a whole lot confusing at first but once I get the hang of the needs of my skin, everything turned out a bit easier.
I do not use an oil control primer on myself, I do use them on my clients! When it comes to makeup bases, I prefer them to work just as base --- shield between my foundation and skin + the added benefits like SPF protection would be even better.
Then came KATE UV Gel Base and its Mineral! I've given this a try for the past weeks and I'm ready to tell you my thoughts!
KATE Mineral UV Gel Base says ---
An advanced UV protection mineral makeup base that protects skin from dryness and UV rays, and keeps it beautiful with just a single application. A clear gel that can work as a sunscreen and does not whiten the skin
- Double-effect mineral powder (skin protection and visible pore coverage)
- Multiple moisturizing ingredients (olive oil, jojoba oil and almond oil)
- Paraben (preservative) free
- Fragrance free
- Pigment free
Made in Japan
AMW says ---Pros
- Comes in squeezable tube.
- Nice tip, non-messy application.
- Dries off invisible, does not change your skin's color.
- Very light on skin, doesn't feel heavy for the rest of the day.
- Gives protection with SPF32 PA++.
- Foundation stays and does not slide.
- Mineral lovers like the mineral makeup base.
- Does not create white cast even when taken with direct flash.
- Information in Japanese. I can't even read ingredients.
- Has a very tiny glue scent. (This goes off several minutes after).
- Gives a tiny sheen, your skin feels like there's a very thin layer of film/coat all over your face.
I can give this product a skip because of the light "gluey scent and feel" as I am very particular with the scent of any skin products.
The product does give a nice layer of smoothness which makes it easier to apply foundation. I do not have huge pores (due to dry skin) to test the pore coverage but my powder foundation does not sink into the lines around my eyes.
The product is not moisturizing enough, so for dry skinned individuals, an application of moisturizer is still needed. On a positive note, it helps my foundation stays longer.
- Dry skin needs to moisturize skin properly prior to KATE Mineral UV Gel Base application.
- Do a patch test if skin is sensitive even to mineral based products.
- Apply a very thin layer especially on areas that have visible lines and pores.
- If you choose to apply a small amount of the UV Gel Base, use appropriate sunscreen prior to makeup application.
- Do a patch test if you have sensitive skin.
- Stop usage immediately once allergic reactions occur.
Not for myself.
To whom do I recommend this to?
Anyone who likes to use a makeup base and sunblock in 1 product. Mineral makeup lovers too.
Where to purchase and how much?
At Watsons Beauty for Php720.00 (approx $16.75).
Light, gel-like texture that's white
once you squeezed out from tube
Gets opaque as you blend
Gets absorbed into the skin without any marks
Just a tiny sheen when you look closely
What's your first makeup base ever???
Mine was the Maybelline UV White Stay :)