When we talk about eye shadows, primers will always be mentioned as they work hand in hand especially with the humidity! I mean, who can truthfully say they can apply a thick amount of eye shadow, eye liner and mascara and have them last all day outside air-conditioned room without crease or without experiencing eye shadow melt down? Even I can't promise myself that and mind you, I don't have oily lids!
But who has the time to apply primer, blend in shadow after shadow on a daily basis? Maybe you, but not me! So I'm quite excited to try the newest Revlon Colorstay Smoky Shadow Sticks, these are meant to be applied underneath your favorite powdered shadows or best of all, these can be applied alone and they are said to stay the whole day without creasing!
Revlon says ---
- The expertly coordinated shades blend perfectly for a smoky eye that lasts
- Wears for up to 12 hours
- Doesn't crease, fade or smudge all day
AMW says ---
- Works great as an eye shadow base. Can also be used on its own.
- Handy, can re-apply outside without brush.
- Does not crease or fade for the whole day without primer for normal lids, oily-lidded individuals may need to re-apply after half a day.
- Pigmentation is good for SOME of the shadow sticks.
- They break off easily; they broke even before I use it. (Check photo below)
- Some of the shades aren't as pigmented. I need to re-apply again and again for the color to come out. (ex. Volcanic)
- The texture of the shadow sticks isn't too creamy or too hard to work with, so I'm torn in between.
A no-brainer eye shadow combination. The Revlon Colorstay Smoky Shadow Sticks needed to be reapplied for the good amount of color to come out but once it sets, it stays for at least half a day without much creasing.
- Apply the rounded shade to highlight your eyes from lash line to brow bone
- Use the pointed shade on the lash line and crease. Blend for smoky effect
- For your peace of mind, use an eye shadow primer underneath BUT, depending on the eye primer you use, application may be more challenging. The stick doesn't apply as smoothly as compared to application without primers.
- The rounded tip (light colored shadow stick) is used to apply all over the lids, to create brighter looking eyes, I prefer to apply this AFTER using the sharp tip concentrating at the inner corner of the lids. (Sample photo on application below)
- The sharp tip (dark colored shadow stick) can be used to apply on the outer-V to define your eyes or this can also be used to apply close to the upper lash line for a gradient smoky effect.
- All the rounded tip shades can be used as an eye-lighter (highlighter), apply them at the inner corner of the eyes.
- All the sharp tipped shadow sticks can be used as an eyeliner, these can also be applied on waterline or lower lash line.
- If you prefer a more natural look, go for Torch.
- If you are looking for a nice smoky eye effect, my favorite is Smolder! The rounded silver shadow stick is the best silver shade I've tried!
- For drama, top the shadow stick with a similar shade of powdered eyeshadow.
- Blend using your fingers is the best way to use these shadow sticks. It is quite tricky to apply at first, so practice makes perfect!
- To blur out harsh lines, use a blending brush or fluffy shadow brush and blend out harsh edges.
No. These 3 are enough as I'm very concern with the shadow sticks breaking off!
To whom do I recommend this to?
These are perfect for girls on-the-go!
Where to purchase and how much?
At local Revlon counters for Php750.00 (approx $18.75).
Light - Very light, almost silver-dust effect.
Dark - Dark gray, matte in texture
Light - Reminds me of Stila's Kitten Eyeshadow.
Dark - Medium reddish brown shade.
Light -Gorgeous silver gray.
Dark - Medium silver gray shade.
MY FAVORITE AMONG THE 3!
L-R Swatches on Volcanic, Torch and Smolder
The silver gray color side from the Smolder stick broke off without me giving much pressure during application.
The dark gray side from the Volcanic Stick fell off as soon as I open the cap, mind you, I still haven't used this when it fell off!
I like using the pointed tip on my outer V while the rounded tip is used on the inner thirds of my eye.
Application AMW Style:
- I applied the light colored shadow stick all over lids.
- Using the pointed tip, create a "shadow" by doing a V shape and blend using clean fingers. Re-apply if needed to add more color.
- Again, using the light colored rounded stick, apply more starting from the inner corner to the center of the lids for brighter-looking eyes.
What other shadow sticks have you tried?
Other shadow stick I've tried is from NYX, the Jumbo Pencils, but I can't seem to use them without eye shadow primer underneath as they crease big time but pigmentation and texture are really good! On lazy days, I prefer to use Revlon Colorstay Smoky Shadow Sticks lightly for an instant pop of color.
Please LIKE AskMeWhats on Facebook
Follow AskMeWhats on Twitter
Get "photo-updated" on Instagram (search "AskMeWhats")
(Products received for review. Opinions 100% mine. Please purchase at your own discretion.)