I've always been wanting to try Stuffed Tofu dish because I love ordering them in Chinese restaurants! It was just recently that I've decided to give it a go because I was extremely craving for it!
Here's my version, far from the usual Stuffed Tofu you see in Chinese restaurants but hey, it won my family's heart...and stomach!
- Ground Pork
- Onion and Garlic
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Knorr Seasoning (1 teaspoon)
- Chopped shrimps (optional)
- Firm Tofu
- Cornstarch to "dry up"
- Breadcrumbs (optional)
1. Purchase Firm Tofu from your local supermarket (I like the Korean ones), slice them in squares and remove the center of the tofu. Set the excess tofu aside as you will need it later on.
2. Sprinkle the tofu with corn starch for it to absorb excess water, this also helps "firm up" your tofu to prevent it from cracking.
3. As for the stuffing, prepare ground pork, chopped shrimps, chopped onion and garlic and diced carrots and mix them all together. It is optional but you may add 1 teaspoon of Knorr seasoning or any soy sauce of choice, salt and pepper to taste and mix everything together. Add a small teaspoon of cornstarch.
Optional: You may add in 1 egg but I prefer to use the egg on the exterior of the stuffed tofu to bind the breadcrumbs.
4. My favorite part! Stuffing Time! Time to stuff the pork and shrimp mixture in the Tofu. It'll look like this.
5. Another optional part, I prefer this stuffed tofu to be extremely crunchy so I brushed egg on all sides of the Stuffed Tofu and pour bread crumbs.
6. Pan fry both sides for just a couple of minutes. It is best to fry the "meat" side face down first before you gently flip the stuffed tofu. You may deep fry this until it's cooked but I prefer the healtheir way by just frying both side until brown and bake the rest! Less oil, less evil!
As for the sauce, I just invented my own sauce that I can't seem to redo! The family loved it, all I remember was adding a lot of sugar on it so the sauce tastes sweet and tangy! Will try to perfect the sauce and will add the sauce recipe soon!
How do you find my homemade Stuffed Tofu AMW Style?
How do you prepare your Tofu? Any other ways?