You know how much I love Tofu right?
As much as I would love to cook them everyday! Well, I can't! One issue I have with "supermarket Tofu" is that most of them tastes so sour you can't literally eat them! If I want good, quality, tofu, I had to go to downtown Manila to grab one and no, I had no time for that!
So last week, since I was at an event at Rockwell, I grabbed a chance to shop at Rustans Supermarket in between meetings! I found a pack of Tofu with Korean writing! And it was an ultimate EUREKA moment because the Tofu tastes WONDERFUL! I'm sorry I didn't get the chance to take a photo on the brand name but I will definitely do so because I will go back for more!
Inspired by the newly bought tofu, I originally thought of making Ma Po tofu but I planned to prepare this dish also for Kyle, I opted for something visually appetizing minus the spicy taste!
I'm not sure if you guys know "Pipa Tofu", I planned to do Pipa tofu but the extra step of "steaming" before pan-frying is too much for a busy mom with clingy son! So I went straight ahead to pan-fried Tofu Burger! The result? YUMMY, HEALTHY GOODNESS!
- Firm tofu
- Minced Pork
- Chopped Mushrooms
- All Purpose Flour
- 1 Egg
- Salt, pepper, chopped garlic and onion.
- Soy Sauce
- Bread crumbs.
- Salt and Pepper
- Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Pork Boullion
- Oyster Sauce
- Bell Peppers chopped
- Mashed the tofu using a fork.
- Pour in the minced pork, chopped onion, garlic and mushrooms. Mix together.
- Add 1 egg, salt and pepper to taste. If you prefer a bit of a "soy sauce" taste, you may add soy sauce instead of salt. Mix all the ingredients together.
- Add in all-purpose flour and corn starch. Add more if you need a thicker consistency. Once you can form "burgers", you put in the right amount of cornstarch.
- In a pan, heat oil. Once oil is ready, use a big spoon and grab a spoonful of the tofu and pork mixture and roll it on bread crumbs.
- Gently put the tofu burger mixture onto the heated oil and do not touch it unless the bottom is golden brown.
- Once all the tofu burger are fried golden brown, use a separate pan to make you sauce.
- Sauteed garlic, onion and green bell pepper. Once you smell the wonderful scent of all 3 ingredients, pour in water and add 1/2 pork boullion (I used Knorr). Add in Oyster sauce and a bit of soy sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
- Thicken the sauce with corn starch.
Healthy yet super yummy Tofu Burger dish with oyster sauce on the side! The dish was a huge success! Next time, I'll try this again with chopped Shrimps (I'm allergic to seafood but it doesn't mean no one can eat them in the household!) I'll probably make 2 batches, one with Shrimp and one without!
Hope you like this simple dish from yours truly!