When I told my husband about my favorite "snack" back in the suburbs of China when I used to teach there (in Lin'an Hangzhou City), I can't seem to explain it to him well and he can't seem to understand what I was trying to say.
So after thinking the recipe in my brain for years, I've finally mustered the courage to give it a try and you know what? It was a success! My husband and son loves it so much and I hope YOU and your family will too!
I coined this dish Potato Fritters with Corn Bits because the mixture of potato and corn was actually just my "McGyver" moment. In China, they serve this in HUGE size (for sharing), the size is as big as your plate and you need to use your hands to tear off your portion. You can choose between potato or corn! Since I don't want my husband to choose, I mixed both ingredients together and it worked just as good! This can be served together with you favorite breakfast, lunch, snacks and dinner!
I apologize if I do not have step-by-step photos on this dish! This is a bit messy to work with so I can't grab my camera or phone in between! I'll try to explain it as clearly as I can for you to get the picture!
- Depends on how many "fritters" you want to do, I used 4 medium sized potatoes.
- Corn in can (I used only half can)
- 1 Egg
- Salt and pepper
- Tiny amount of chicken coating (ex. Crispy Fry)
- Making sure slice the potatoes in very thin slices for the fritter to be crispier.
- In a bowl, mix julienned potatoes, corn bits, all-purpose-flour, egg, salt and pepper. Mixing all ingredients together.
- If the ingredients aren't sticky enough, add more flour as you work your way to the right "stickiness".
- Add a tablespoon of Crispy Fry mixture to taste. If you like your fritters to taste like cheese or BBQ, you may add those powder after frying each fritter. I prefer a light, natural potato and corn taste so I skipped those 2 spices.
- If you want a bit of butter-y taste, melt butter on pan before you add oil, in my case, I want it more "healthy" so I use just plain Canola Oil instead.
- Plop each fritter ball you created on pan flattening it a bit with a clean spoon. Let it sit on oil for a couple of minutes making sure the bottom is "firm" and potato strips won't separate before you flip it on the other side.
VOILA! Instant fritters and my son LOVED these so much I had to stop him from eating!
Give this simple recipe a try and tell me how it goes!
HAPPY MOTHER'S Day to all mommies out there!
Give yourself a pat on the back for job well done!
Please LIKE AskMeWhats on Facebook
Follow AskMeWhats on Twitter
Get "photo-updated" on Instagram (search "AskMeWhats")