After my series of gel liner reviews, I've given it a rest as you know how long it takes to finish up one! Out of all the gel liners I've reviewed, I have to admit, I haven't finish even ONE of it. I've thrown away my Stila Smudgepots in Black though because I have 1/4 left and it has finally dried up after 2 years!
I know the Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Liner have been creating a buzz over the gel liner world! I finally had the chance to test, making sure it's worthy to be part of my makeup traincase! Read on for my in dept review...
Shade 02: Brown
Maybelline Eyestudio Lasting Drama Gel Liner says ---Only our oil-free formula can hold highly concentrated pigments in a clear gel base
- So color is more intense and lines resist wear for 24 hours
- Smudge-proof and water-proof
- The most intense line for lasting drama
- Removes easily with soap and water or Eye makeup remover
AMW says ---
- I actually like the very cute packaging. Quite unique as compared to other gel liners
- Glides on smoothly, no need to tug my lids
- Quite pigmented, no need to go through the same area again and again
- No eye irritations
- Easy to remove with a makeup remover as compared to other gel liner brands
- Free brush is actually good quality! The brush stays the same even after usage and washes
- The length of the handle of the free brush is actually just right as compared to other brands who gives free 2-3 inches handle eyeliner brush which makes it difficult to apply
- If you are into natural eyeliner: this 02 Brown shade works really well for daily use minus the exaggerated eyeliner look
- Can be used on the lower lash line without getting eye irritations
- Do last for the whole day if you're not the type who rubs the eye too much! I applied this on the upper lash line and I had an almost 24 hours makeup shoot and it stayed until I got home!
- It smudges! If you constantly rub your eyes, this will definitely smudge!
- Personal preference: I like my gel liner like black and brown to have matte finish, this has a tiny hint of shimmer
Out of all the gel liners I've used, I would say the quality of the Maybelline Gel Liner is almost the same as the ELF Studio Creme Eyeliner I've used. They are both very creamy and easy to glide on lids! Though a lot of people find that this is tad too tiny, I think it's the best size for a gel liner as a little goes a long way and there's no point keeping gel liner for a long time as it gets dried up easily! The price is inexpensive and wroth the purchase especially for first time gel liner users!
- Defined Look - define in small strokes, glide liner across lash line from inner to outer corner
- Dramatic Look - define in small strokes, glide liner across lash line from inner to outer corner
- Enhance - to extend and thicken line from outer corner up towards brow; wing out for extra drama
- You can apply using your favorite angled liner brush
- Can be used to apply think/thick liner. Can also be used as an eyeshadow base for smokey eye looks
- Twist the cap tight after every use to prevent product from drying up easily
- Try not to rub your eyes if you're a gel liner user to prevent from smudging
- You can apply an eyeliner sealant (ex. Makeup Forever Eye Seal) to prevent liner from smudging
- Maybelline have sales or discounts regularly, you can purchase this 10-20% off so watch out for sales
- If the gel liner smudged in the middle of the day, a quick run through with a cotton bud will lessen the smudges.
- You can also use an eye brush to go through a setting powder on top of the gel liner to prevent it from smearing or smudging.
I'd love to give black version a try
Where to purchase and how much?
At Maybelline counter for Php449.00 (approx $10.20).
Bottom of the packaging
Made in Korea
A closer look on the free brush, some people fine it quite difficult to apply gel liner using this brush but I found a great way to use this. Apply using only the tip of the brush for that thin liner look
Here's how the free brush after several usage and wash. Not bad quality!
Applied on hand with 2 strokes. Thin line to thick line can be achieved. Checkout the shimmer it has. The 02 brown shade has this medium, bronze-y brown look.
Waited for 5 minutes, used a cotton bud to go through the line and you can see it smudged! In fairness to the Gel Liner, I went through the cotton bud quite hard. We don't usually do that on our eye area.
Wet the gel liner, no smudges
Harshly rubbed the gel liner with water and fingers, it took a couple of harsh rubbing before the gel liner "almost" disappeared. This proves how easy the gel liner can be removed with makeup remover/soap and water. What I like about this experiment is that the liner gets disappeared instead of smudges like crazy which will create a panda look!
Applied on both upper and lower lashline
Any gel liners out there worth giving a try next?
I hope you find this review helpful!