Remember how I found the Beauty Blender to be the cutest makeup sponge around? There is something cute and sexy available locally called HD Makeup Blender! People may mistake this for the Sonia Kashuk counterpart, I do not own the Sonia Kashuk one but base on photo, the curves are slightly different. After receiving this as a Christmas gift from a dear friend, I've road tested this a couple of times and I'm ready to spill the beans...ahmm...sponge I mean! *winks*
HD Makeup Blender
HD Makeup Blender says ---
Blends easily, works great with your foundation, concealers, etc. This is all you need to apply your makeup flawlessly. Great for applying cream, mineral and liquid foundation along with cream, and mineral blush.
AMW says ---
- Cute shape, easy to grip!
- Saves up a lot of liquid or cream foundation.
- Can apply light-heavy coverage foundation minus the cake-y look.
- With the 'bounce' method, creates a nice airbrush finish.
- Multi-functional, can apply liquid or cream foundation, liquid or cream concealer, cream blushes etc..
- Sponge does not feel crumbly after a couple of usage as compared to regular sponges!
- Odor free.
- No bleeding on first up to current washes.
- If you are a makeup sponge user, this saves up a lot of money because this is wash-able and reusable!
- Very difficult to wash! I find washing this even more difficult than my Beauty Blender because this is a bit too firm!
- Does not come with a case which makes it a bit difficult to store.
- Stains a bit! (scroll down on tip area on how to remove hardheaded stains)
The Beauty blender and HD Makeup Blender are both priced similarly (not unless you buy 2 and above for the HD Makeup Blender, it'll come Php200 cheaper). If you ask me which one I prefer, here's my simplest answer:
When it comes to washing - I prefer the Beauty Blender because the HD Makeup Blender is a pain to wash!
When it comes to application - I prefer the extra 'stiffness' of HD Makeup Blender because it gives more control over application!
- HD Makeup Blender must always be damp prior to usage.
- Use the bottom part for the large parts of your face. (ex. cheeks, forehead, neck)
- Use the pointy part around your nose, under the eye area.
- For makeup stains, I suggest you purchase an inexpensive Extra Virgin Olive Oil and gently rub the olive oil on the "stained" area until the stain is gone a bit, continue with regular washing with a mixture of baby shampoo and gentle dish washing liquid.
- Instead of wetting the sponge prior to usage, I prefer to spritz with a bottled facial spray so that the sponge does not get too wet and coverage won't be too light.
- Be careful not to puncture the sponge with any sharp objects or your fingernails.
- Store with a container to prevent dirt from getting absorbed inside the sponge.
No, the Beauty Blender has been with me for a year and it's still working well and looking good as new! I'm sure with proper care and use, this one will last too!
To whom do I recommend this to?
Anyone who wants the non-cake-y no streaks foundation without the airbrush system! If you also have enough time to bounce or stipple this sponge with your favorite foundation!
Where to purchase and how much?
At HD Makeup Site for Php1,200 (approx $28.00) each. Php1,000 (approx $23.50) for 2 and above!
Compared to Beauty Blender (BB)
- The texture of BB is more porous as compared to the HD Makeup Blender.
- The BB is easier to wash, because the HD Makeup Blender is denser and thicker, I have to give more effort in washing and I have to wash it twice as much as I wash BB.
- The bounce of BB is better but the coverage of HD Makeup Blender is much better!
- The HD Makeup Blender has a wider base which covers more spaces on your face as compared to the BB.
- The tip of the HD Makeup Blender is stiffer and gives more control.
- The sexy shape of HD Makeup Blender gives a better grip during application.
The Beauty Blender and HD Makeup Blender
Side by side, same size both wet and dry
HD Makeup Blender Size
Dry: 2.3 inches
Wet: 2.8 inches
Wet: 2.8 inches
If you ask me, I'm still a powder user on a daily basis or just a tinted moisturizer or BB cream! But on days I want more coverage, a look that spells 'flawless', I'd pick this up especially if you want that airbrush finish minus the airbrush system!
Do you have a lemming for this sponge?