Personally, contouring is not something I would do on a daily basis, but it is an integral part of make-up application when you are exposed to having your photographs taken! I do have a couple of contour powders but I found out I needed to add more into my collection as my existing MAC MSF in Dark and the MAC Sculpting Powder in Shadester can turn a bit "orangey" on some clients.
I need to find an alternative....ASAP! Well not really, as I went online at Strawberrynet.com and found a Stila Contouring Trio on sale! I purchased it right away and got it a month plus after! (Did I mess up the meaning of ASAP? *laughs*)
Stila Contouring Trio says ---
If you want to create the illusion of larger eyes, slimmed down nose and sculpted cheek bones without spending big money for going under the knife, Stila Contouring Trio is your best bet! Stila Contouring Trio compact comes with 3 shades light for highlighting, dark for lowlighting and flash, a soft neutral shimmer shade. Comes with a step-by-step instruction booklet.
water\aqua\eau, copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax\cera carnauba\cire de carnauba, stearic acid, glyceryl stearate, polyisobutene, silica, polyvinyl acetate, aminomethyl propanediol, vp/eicosene copolymer, isostearic acid, panthenol, pantethine, sodium hyaluronate, lauroyl lysine, butylene glycol, peg-9 dimethicone, hexylene glycol, caprylyl glycol, simethicone, hydroxyethylcellulose, acrylates copolymer, bht, phenoxyethanal, methylparaben, may contain (+/-) mica, iron oxides (ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499), titanium dioxide (ci 77891), ferric ferrocyanide (ci 77510), ultramarines (ci 77007), blue 1 lake (ci 42090), aluminum powder (ci 77000), bismuth oxychloride (ci 77163), carmine (ci 75470), chromium hydroxide green (ci 77289), chromium oxide greens (ci 77288), yellow 5 lake (ci 19140), manganese violet (ci 77742)
AMW says ---Pros
- Very cute packaging, comes with mirror and tiny lights!
- The "switch" for light has a "safety sticker" that you need to peel before it turns on and off automatically.
- Has a protective "clear plastic cover" with the names of the powder to prevent it from getting dirty against the mirror and lights.
- The 3 shades are pigmented.
- Smooth and easy to blend.
- The Dark shade: is truly muted brown, does not come out red or orangey.
- The Light shade: is matte creamy shade that's perfect for highlight without any glitters.
- Very versatile palette, can be used to contour/highlight the eyes, nose, cheeks.
- No weird smell.
- No skin allergies or skin irritations.
- Too bulky to tote around!
- Flash eyeshadow is my least favorite and can't seem to use it as "highlighter" but just as regular eyeshadow with chunky glitters.
- The mirror that comes with the compact is not that clear, I find it dizzying to stare at the tiny mirror with 6 mini lights flashing against my poor eyes.
- I'm not sure if its readily available locally or if this is discontinued?
- You have to wait forever if you order online and you live in the Philippines :P
This fits perfectly inside my makeup train case as I found the shades to be quite useful for most of my clients. It does not turn orange and all 3 shades are so versatile, they can also be used as eyeshadows as well.
- To create slimmer face, you can use the Dark shadow on the forehead, sides of the face, cheeks, neck etc..
- Use the Light shadow to "highlight" the features you want to - bridge of the nose, brow bone, upper lips and chin. I also like using the light shadow under the eyes to "set" concealer bringing out a brighter, more awake look!
- Flash shadow is mostly used as an eyeshadow base, adding another eyeshadow shade to lessen the "chunky glitters"
- Use only a tiny amount and add more as needed.
Will I repurchase?
Yes! Will actually head on to the site and order backups.
To whom do I recommend this to?
Anyone into highlighting and contouring! Or anyone who likes to use all 3 shades to create a very natural eye makeup on a daily basis.
Where to purchase and how much?
I bought mine at Strawberrynet.com. You can check out Ebay or other local sellers or resellers. Just checked Strawberrynet and they still have it available and on sale for $16.00 (approx Php688.00). Smile and click HERE.
A closer look on Flash, Light and Dark
Swatch on hand without base
I used Dark to contour my nose, gives a very natural effect
minus the "orangey" look.
Here's a before and after photo on how I used Dark
to contour my cheeks
(Left: Without Right: With Dark)
Using Light, gently patted Light under the eye area
to lessen the darkness under the eye area with Shu Uemura Brush
Do you agree with me why I love Light?
Left: patted Light, without concealer.
What's your current contour/highlight powders?
For now, this is my personal favorite!
Worth the super long wait!
Enjoy your Saturday!