Ah, after my loyalty to The Face Shop's Top Coat and The Face Shop's Base Coat, it's high time I try other brands! And I guess that's what my dear friend Frances had in mind when we gifted me OPI Start to Finish Base & Top Coat last Christmas! (thanks girlfriend!)
After using this a couple of months and testing through nail art after nail art, you will finally hear my say....
OPI Start to Finish Base & Top Coat says ---
The OPI Start To Finish Base & Top Coat is a breakthrough, three-in-one nail treatment that combines a base coat, top coat and natural nail strengthener in one high performance product. As a base coat, it can be applied before nail lacquer to prevent staining and to strengthen the natural nail. Also provides a smooth base for the application of OPI Nail Lacquer.
The result - stronger, more flexible nails.
Butyl acetate, ethyl acetate, alcohol denat. (SD alcohol 40B), nitrocellulose, propyl acetate, heptane, tosylamide/epoxy resin, isopropyl alcohol, dibutyl phthalate, camphor, formaldehyde, etocrylene, polyvinyl butyral, Cl 60725 (Violet 2).
AMW says ---Pros
- The brush is flat and easy to use!
- As base coat, it dries quickly and serves as a nice base prior to polish application.
- As top coat, the polish lasts more than a week with a lot of typing jobs, I also wash dishes and likes to wash my hands a lot of times a day!
- So far, it does not cause further yellowing, the yellowing of my nails actually decreased as compared to using other brands!
- As a top coat, it does not dry quickly but it doesn't dry slowly as well. Just right!
- I will have to repeat, the brush shape, size is just a dream to apply! So quick and easy!
- The brush part gets stuck into the cap a lot of times!
- Not as shiny as other top coats in the market.
- Pricier as compared to other brands.
- Thanks to reader "L O" she wanted to add that the ingredients "Camphor and Formaldehyde" are not good. (Do your own research and use at your own discretion).
When it comes to preventing nails from further yellowing and longevity of the nail polish, the OPI Start to Finish Base & Top Coat passed with flying colors! You just don't get the extra "ooomph" or "shine" that you may get from other top coat which I don't mind much as I am more into anti-yellowing!
- Apply one coat and let dry as base coat.
- As top coat, apply 2 coats.
- Use the "wrapping method" to prevent nail polish from chipping.
- If you plan to make your polish/nail art lasts longer, apply the OPI as Top Coat again midweek with wrapping method, the nail polish will last longer.
- Always close cap tight when not in use and store in cool, dry place to prevent polish from drying up easily.
- Do not apply any polish in front of an electric fan as it will cause bubbles!
Yes, will use this as base coat more than top coat.
To whom do I recommend this to?
Anyone who's dead serious with nail polish application and wants to protect nails from further yellowing. If you do have "resting time" for nails, then it's ok to stick to more inexpensive base and top coat!
Where to purchase and how much?
I actually will check to make sure but I believe this is around Php400.00++
Here's a good test on my OPI Start to Finish Base and Top Coat
I applied 1 coat as base and 2 coats as Top coat. PVZ nails after 2 weeks, no chipping and obviously, it has been weeks as my nails are starting to grow. Oh, I also applied another coat before the start of the 2nd week thus the lifespan of my nail art extends! I think I can even go further to 3rd week if not only I'm itching for new nail art design!
A photo of my bare nails leaving Tall Nut (My fave)
As seen on photo, there are still slight yellowing on my nails which is actually not bad considering I have nail polish on for good 3-4 years! I know, its not healthy but I can't help it! With a good base coat, it really helps maintain at least ...close to ...healthy looking nails plus my nails are still strong as ever! *knocks on wood*
What's your weapon in preventing your nails from ---
I'd love to hear your secret!