When I heard The Body Shop came up with a Gel Liner, I exclaimed: "FINALLY!"
I mean seriously, don't you agree with me when I say almost ALL makeup brands came up with their version of gel liners? I mean way back before K-Palette 24H Real Lasting Eyeliner and Benefit They're Real Push-Up Liner, I am a gel-liner addict and you can freely search "gel liners" on my search box and you'll see the brands I used and reviewed.
Just when I thought I'll go silent about gel liners, thanks to The Body Shop for reviving my gel-liner love! When I got the 2-in-1 Smoky Gel Liner Eyes and Brows...I immediately exclaimed, I won't be using this for the brows for sure! So bear with me as I will be reviewing this as eyeliner. As I use this gel liner solely for eye-lining purpose.
The Gel Liner packaging may be unique and eye-catching several years ago but since Revlon came out with a similarly-packaged gel liners 2 years ago (and I believe some Korean brand as well?) , the unique packaging isn't as unique anymore.
If this is the first time for you to encounter this packaging, well, feel free to be impressed! This is a handy gel pot with a brush neatly tucked on lid.
And as usual, feel free to read more for my in depth review!
The Body Shop says ---
An innovative formula created to draw the perfect eye line or intensify the brows. Available in two shades: black and brown.
- 2 in 1 formula
- Smart Packaging - brush integrated in packaging
- Long lasting effect up to 12 hours
- Can be used to create a variety of different looks
- Enriched with Community Fair Trade Marula Oil
- Comes in 2 shades, the shades that I think every girl who line their eyes should own - black and brown.
- Both shades are matte and highly pigmented.
- The gel liner is pigmented, you get a good color pay-off on 1 swipe.
- The brush is actually good! You can create thin and thick line easily.
- The liner (applied on upper lash line) did not smudge on me. It lasts until removal (consider I have normal lids)
- Easy to remove with regular eye makeup remover.
- Yes, this gel liner may look like most gel liners in the market, what sets this apart? The fact that this contains Marula Oil, this oil came from Eudafano Women's Co-operative in Namibia. Buying this will help these women.
- Will smudge on oily-lidded users without eyeshadow primer underneath. Please read tips below on how to "set" the liner to prevent smudging.
- Won't look natural if used on brows.
- Will smudge if you use on the lower lash line.
- Drying time of the gel liner is normal. Not too fast, not too slow.
Indeed, a 2-in 1 product but I personally believe this works best as eyeliner, then as an eyeshadow base for smoky eye makeup! The Body Shop Smoky 2-in-1 Gel Liner is highly pigmented, waterproof and smudge-proof (at a certain extent).
- Wash the brush prior to usage.
- Dip the brush in the gel and smooth the tip on the rim of the pot to remove excess product.
- Apply using short strokes connecting one line from the other.
- The brush is rounded, feel free to use the side edge to create thin line and use the flat side of the brush to create thicker line.
- If you plan to use the gel liner on your brush, PLEASE apply using extra light-hand strokes and use a spoolie to blur out harsh lines.
- You can also use this as an eyeshadow base if you plan to create dark smoky eyes.
- Brown is perfect for daily, no make-up look. Black is for when you plan to define your eyes.
- Flip over the brush and insert the back of it to the handle to extend the length of your brush.
- If you are extremely oily-lidded, please, don't take the risk, use a dependable eyeshadow primer to prevent smudging! Also, it might help to wait for a couple of minutes for the liner to completely dry before you start blinking. If you don't have time to wait, set with an oil-control translucent powder.
- If your gel liner dried out, blow dry the gel liner in very low blow-dryer setting for a couple of seconds, let it cool before you use.
- To prevent smudging, make sure not to apply the liner too thickly. It helps to apply thinly, let it completely dry before you add on thickness.
To whom do I recommend this to?
Normal lidded users. Most gel liners will smudge on oily-lidded individuals, also on users who have monolids.
Where to purchase and how much?
At local The Body Shop stores for Php695.00 (approx $15.80).
Random swatches at the back of my hand.
As you can see, you get real matte black shade even on 1 swipe (bottom swatch)
As for application, I prefer to start at the center and gently extend the line using short strokes! I am very careful not to apply too much gel liner to prevent smudging. I like to create a thin, fine line and adjust thickness once the first layer is completely dry.
The brush is quite impressive, I can create a "flick" easily.
Day time eyeliner
Some may want to use the same gel liner on the lower lash line. For a more natural effect, there is no need to dip the brush again on the pot, use remaining gel liner and gently apply on the lower lash line using vertical strokes as shown on photo below.
Water testAfter the liner is set for more than 10 minutes, I washed my hand with just water with a bit of rubbing and so far, there was only minimal smudging. If you rub it really hard, the liner disappears a bit instead of smudging or smearing.
Take note that there will be less smudging if liner is set properly.
Have you tried The Body Shop Smoky 2-in-1 Gel Liner?
Are you still on gel-liner high?
Please LIKE AskMeWhats on Facebook
Follow AskMeWhats on Twitter
Get "photo-updated" on Instagram (search "AskMeWhats")
(Product sent by company/PR for review. Opinion 100% mine. Please purchase at your own discretion.)